In this section, we'll provide the information you need to install Burp Suite Enterprise Edition. Note that this section assumes you have a basic knowledge of the core components and their technical requirements. Before beginning the installation process, we strongly recommend familiarizing yourself with the technical infrastructure. It is also important to read about how to prepare for the installation so that you know which options you need to select during the installation process.
Obtaining a license
If you haven't already done so, we recommend subscribing to Burp Suite Enterprise Edition or requesting a trial before downloading the installer.
If you want to request a trial license, go to portswigger.net/burp/enterprise and click "Try for free". Use the form to request a trial license. An email will be sent to the address you provide containing instructions about how to download your license key. The trial allows you to use the full functionality of Burp Suite Enterprise Edition for a fixed amount of time and with a fixed number of agents. We also recommend working through our trial setup guide to help you get started with your trial as quickly as possible.
If you want to subscribe to Burp Suite Enterprise Edition, go to portswigger.net/burp/enterprise and click "Buy".
What if I can't find my license key?
Don't worry if you lose your license key. You can download it again at any time from your account page.
Installing Burp Suite Enterprise Edition
Installing Burp Suite Enterprise Edition is just a case of following the steps in the provided installation wizard. As long as you are familiar with the technical infrastructure and have completed the recommended steps for preparing for the installation, this process should mostly be self-explanatory. We've included some more information here just in case.
- Either go to the Releases page and download the installer for your preferred version of Burp Suite Enterprise Edition, or log in to your account page and download the latest version from there.
- Launch the installation wizard and accept the terms and conditions. Confirm the directories where you want to create folders for the software, data, and logs.
- You will be asked which components you want to install. You have to install at least the Enterprise server and web server. If you also want to use this machine as an agent machine, select both components. We recommend this option if it is your first time installing Burp Suite Enterprise Edition. If you only want to use external agent machines, deselect the option for installing an agent machine.
- Select the port on which users will access the web server. The default is 8080, but you can change this if necessary.
If you are on Linux or MacOS, you will be asked if you want to create a dedicated operating system user that will run the application. By default, this is set to
burpsuite. You can specify an existing user, or one will be created if it doesn't exist. Note that this is purely a technical setting and is not the username that you will use to log in to the application.
- Select whether you want to use the bundled database or use one of your own external databases. We recommend using the bundled database if this is your first time installing Burp Suite Enterprise Edition. Remember you can always migrate to an external database later. If you choose to use an external database, you will need to specify a few technical details about your chosen database.
- Finally, enter a username, valid email address, and a password that you want to use for the Burp Suite Enterprise Edition administrator user. This will initially be the only user in the system and it will have maximum privileges. As such, you should set a strong password for this account. Remember these credentials - if you lose them you will need to restart the installation process to generate a new administrator user.
- When you are done, click "Finish".
The installation is now complete and the Enterprise server is running on
http://your-web-server-IP:8080 by default. For the moment, you need to log in from the machine on which you installed the Enterprise server. Therefore, you can access the application on the
localhost URL and the port number that you set during the installation process. By default, this should be