Last updated: January 10, 2022
Read time: 3 Minutes
Click the settings icon and select "Updates". From there, you can see details about the currently installed software and any available updates.
There are two separate components shown, each of which might have pending updates:
- Burp Suite Enterprise Edition: This comprises the Enterprise server, agents, and web server (including the web UI, REST API, and GraphQL API).
- Burp Scanner: This is used by agents to perform scans. The version numbers and release details shown for Burp Scanner correspond to those of Burp Suite Professional.
There are configuration options for automatic updates. You can also manually check for updates and apply pending updates at any time. Applying updates either automatically or manually might result in some downtime.
To perform any kind of update, the Enterprise server needs network access to
Even if your machines have access to portswigger.net, you may want to disable automatic updates for one or both Enterprise components. This approach allows for a flexible workflow, in which you can keep up-to-date with the latest version of Scanner without having to update your entire Enterprise infrastructure every time a new Scanner version becomes available.
Updating Burp Scanner manually
If you disable auto-updates for Scanner but leave auto-updates for Enterprise on, then Scanner updates when Enterprise is updated.
However, if you turn auto-updates off for both Enterprise and Scanner, then you will need to use the Agent Update installer to update Scanner manually when required. To update Scanner manually:
- On your Enterprise server, open the Burp Suite Releases web page and scroll down to the most recent Enterprise Edition release.
Select Agent Update from the drop-down menu and click Download to download the Scanner installer as a zip file.
- Log in to Burp Suite Enterprise Edition. From the settings menu, select Updates to display the Updates page.
- Click the Upload zip file (offline update) button and select the installer zip file from the dialog box. Once the file has been verified and uploaded, Burp displays version details for it on the Updates page.
- Click the Install now button and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
Once the update is complete, all future scans on all agent machines will automatically use the new version of the scanner. Any scans that were in progress when the installation started will continue with the version of the scanner that they started with.
Downtime during updates
The impact of applying an update in terms of application downtime is as follows:
- Updates to Burp Suite Enterprise Edition will cause some downtime while the update is applied. The web UI, REST API, and GraphQL API will be unavailable during the update, and any scans that are configured to start during the update will be delayed until it is completed. Scans that are already running at the time of the update are unaffected. To reduce the impact of downtime, you can configure whether to restrict automatic updates of Burp Suite Enterprise Edition to specific days and times.
- Updates to Burp Scanner do not cause any downtime. Scans that are already running at the time of the update will continue using the version of Burp Scanner that they started with. New scans that start after the update will use the updated version of Burp Scanner. It is generally desirable to enable automatic updates of Burp Scanner to ensure that the latest scan checks are available.
Over time, there might be backwards compatibility limitations on either component in relation to the other. If one component has not been updated for some time, then it might be that it must be updated before any further updates can be made to the other component. The updates page will indicate when this is the case.
Some available updates might require manual intervention preventing them from being applied automatically. For example, if an available update makes changes to the software license agreement, then it may be necessary to accept the new agreement before the update can be applied. The updates page will indicate when this is the case.