Managing agent machine pools
Agent machine pools support the "agent affinity" concept and are useful if you have a need to limit which agent machines can scan certain sites. You may wish to keep agent machines and the sites they scan to the same geographic areas, for example, or some sites might only be available to scan by machines on the same network. Agent machine pools stop the problem of a scan failing because the relevant machine is busy elsewhere, or an assigned agent being unable to access a restricted site for a scan. Sample uses for agent machine pools are:
- Keeping the agent machines and sites for one geographic area together.
- Cordoning off the resources of one team.
- Scanning sites with restricted access.
- Reserving agent machines for specific purposes, such as a CI/CD pipeline or ad-hoc scanning.
Features of agent machine pools
Each agent and site is assigned to an agent machine pool. Agent machine pools are collections of agent machines, and are there to enable you to manage your scanning resources efficiently. The important features of agent machine pools are:
- Each agent machine must belong to an agent machine pool.
- Each site to be scanned must belong to an agent machine pool.
- Only agent machines in the same pool as a site can scan that site.
Manage agent machine pools
To manage agent machine pools, click on the settings cog icon at the top right of the screen and select "Agents". Then, select the "Agent machine pools" tab.
Create a new agent machine pool
To create a new agent machine pool, do the following:
- Click on the settings cog icon at the top right of the screen and select "Agents".
- Click on the "Agent machine pools" tab.
- Select "Create pool".
- Provide a name and description for the new agent machine pool.
- Assign the relevant agent machines and sites to the new pool.
- Click on "Save".
Reassign an agent machine to a different pool
To reassign an existing agent machine to a different pool, do the following:
- Click on the settings cog icon at the top right of the screen, and select "Agents".
- Ensure you are on the "Agent machines " tab.
- In the list of agent machines, select the relevant drop-down menu for the agent machine you want to reassign, and click on the name of the agent machine pool to place it in that pool.
Reassign a site to a different pool
To reassign an existing site to a different agent machine pool, do the following:
- Click on the "Sites" tab.
- Select the relevant site.
- Click on the "Details" tab.
- Click "Edit".
- Click on the "Agent machine pool" drop-down and select the agent machine pool you want the site to move to.
- Click "Save".