So you're interested in applying for a position at PortSwigger! What should you expect from the application process?
Apply by email
- Send us your CV via email.
- Please include your full educational record including A-levels or equivalent.
- We also accept applications via recruitment agencies.
- We will review your CV and get back to you within a few days.
First phone call
- The purpose of this call is to determine whether you have the skills and experience that we are looking for.
- This will normally comprise a number of short technical questions.
- For software development roles, the call will focus on either Java or .NET but will include some more general questions about computer science, databases, and web technologies. An example question might be: "What are the performance properties of a linked list?".
- The call takes 15-30 minutes.
Second phone call
- The purpose of this call is to get to know each other a bit and see if we might be a good fit for each other.
- We'll talk about various non-technical areas, such as team collaboration, approaches to delivering quality work, and personal motivations. An example question might be: "What would your ideal job be like?".
- We'll explain more about PortSwigger and how we work.
- You'll have an opportunity to ask questions.
- The call takes approximately 30 minutes.
- Depending on your level of experience, we might ask you to carry out an exercise in your own time.
- We'll let you know during the second phone call if we'd like you to carry out an exercise, and we'll send you the details via email.
- The exercise shouldn't take more than a few hours.
- There is no deadline to return your work.
- You can ask any questions that you have about the exercise via email.
- The on-site interview will give you an opportunity to meet the PortSwigger team, experience our working environment, talk about the role in more detail, and ask questions.
- The process takes approximately 2.5 hours and will normally start at either 10am or 2pm.
- There is no dress code for the interview. PortSwigger people generally wear casual dress at work. You can wear whatever you are comfortable with.
The interview will include a work exercise:
- For software development roles, you will carry out a pair programming session alongside one of our engineers. We are looking for TDD, clean and maintainable code, good problem solving, and use of appropriate design patterns where relevant.
- For other roles, you will work on various written tasks. We are looking for factual accuracy, clear and intelligible English, and good time management.
- You will have internet access during the exercise and can use this to obtain any information you need to help you complete the task.
You will use the following equipment and software:
- Java developers: Mac Pro running MacOS, IntelliJ IDEA, JUnit.
- .NET developers: Mac Pro running MacOS, Jetbrains Rider, xUnit.
- Other positions: Macbook laptop running MacOS. Work will be written up in a Google doc running in a web browser.
- If you have any concern about the equipment and software used for the exercise, please let us know in advance of your interview.
- We make decisions quickly and can normally make an offer shortly after your on-site interview.
- Take as much time as you need to consider our offer. We want this to be the right decision for you. You can also ask as many further questions as you like at this stage.
- If you accept our offer, we'll normally need to take up references from your current and previous employers (or university supervisor for students).
- We are flexible on start dates and can work around your existing obligations and preferences.
- We can provide help and advice on any aspect of your transition, including places to live, transport, local schools, or other assistance that you might need.
We are happy to provide feedback after the application process is complete, and to answer any other questions that arise during the process. Please email us if you have any questions.