Last updated: January 29, 2024
Read time: 3 Minutes
You can access most of Burp Suite's settings via the Settings dialog. To access this dialog, click Settings on the top menu.
User and project settings
There are two types of setting in Burp:
- Project settings only apply to the current project. They are stored within the project file itself.
- User settings apply to all installations of Burp on your machine. They affect all disk-based projects and any temporary projects.
Some settings can be defined as both project and user settings. These settings have an Override options for this project only toggle. If this toggle is selected, then Burp applies the specified settings at the project level. Otherwise, the specified settings are treated as user settings and applied globally.
The toggle enables you to configure defaults at the user level, and then override these settings on a project by project basis.
For example, you might configure a corporate LAN proxy to connect to the Internet as a user setting. However, some projects might require you to use a different upstream proxy. You can configure the alternative details in your project settings.
You can import project and configuration files from other users. However, for security reasons, we recommend only importing project and configuration files from trusted sources.
The navigation tree to the side of the Settings dialog enables you to find the settings you are looking for.
To filter the content:
- Use the Search bar at the top of the panel.
- Alternatively, use the All, User or Project filter buttons.
For a guide to some of the most important settings in Burp, see Key settings.
From the Settings dialog, you can:
- Restore default settings.
- Save settings. The settings are saved as a configuration file in JSON format.
- Load settings. The configuration file needs to be in JSON format. The easiest way to generate the file is to create the desired configuration in Burp, then save a file from it.
To manage all user or all project settings:
- Click Manage global settings.
- Choose between User settings or Project settings.
- Select Restore default settings, Save settings, or Load settings.
If you select Restore default settings for Project settings, you can choose which settings to restore defaults for:
- All - All project settings.
- Target - The target scope and the site map filter.
- Proxy - All Proxy settings.
- Repeater - All Repeater settings.
- Sequencer - All Sequencer settings.
- Logger - The capture filter and view filter for Burp Logger.
- Other project settings - All project settings that are not Target, Proxy, Repeater, Sequencer, or Logger settings.
If you manage user settings, your action also applies to extensions and UI related settings, such as the site map layout.
If you manage all project settings, your action also applies to non-UI-related settings in Burp tools.
To manage an individual setting, click the icon next to the setting and select an action.
The Settings dialog contains the following pages:
The response extraction rules are used in various settings in Burp.
Was this article helpful?
An error occurred, please try again.